LAMB KEEMA/MINCED LAMB
This is one of those dishes that you cannot possibly go wrong with! Indian spiced minced lamb served on a toasted crumpet is going to make your dinner table proud. You can always enjoy it more traditionally with a garlic or butter naan. This one is finger licking good!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil if you prefer that
- 400 gms minced lamb (Approximately 20% fat)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chicken masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Heat oil or ghee, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter for a minute.
- Slide the sliced onion in and sauté for about 5 minutes till the onions start turning pink.
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies and the whole spices (bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves) and continue to sauté till the onions start turning slightly golden on the edges.
- Put in your minced lamb to this onion mixture and cook uncovered on moderately high heat for about 8-10 minutes. You will notice that your minced lamb starts turning white and also ends up losing water which is exactly what you want.
- After 10 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes, frozen peas and spice powders (coriander, powder turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, salt) to the minced lamb and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on moderate heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring once every 5-minutes.
- The minced lamb should be almost done by now.
- Sprinkle chicken masala at this stage for a fuller flavour and cook uncovered for another 5-7 minutes.
- There are myriad ways to enjoy this minced lamb dish.
- Serve hot with a buttered naan or on a toasted crumpet.
I have used the Waitrose Duchy Organic Welsh Lamb Mince for this recipe but feel free to use whatever is easily available.
The use of chicken masala is optional. If you prefer a milder flavour, then skip it. For a more intense flavour, add the chicken masala. The brand I used is Shaan Chicken Masala.
A crumpet is a thick, flat, savoury cake with a soft, porous texture, made from a yeast mixture cooked on a griddle and eaten toasted and buttered. Crumpets are popularly eaten at the breakfast table in England. I buy my crumpets from M&S. Serving lamb mince on toasted crumpets makes for an excellent starter or a beautiful side. The porous crumpet absorbs the juices in the dish and makes each bite scrumptious.
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
"Leg OFF Bones PAD comes without bones, so it is faster to cook and easier to carve and is the perfect choice for relaxed cooking. The leg off bones meat deeply absorbs the flavours of your preferred seasonings and marinade, making it the superior choice for all weekday and weekend meals.Majestic Meats - Wholesale Meat SuppliersReplyDelete
Unit 2-3, Crossley Hall Works
T: 01274 544675
E: email@example.com" meat suppliers wholesale