This has become a new staple at our home. It has steadily replaced rice at meals. Quinoa Pulao is healthy, satisfying, and light on the stomach. It is great for a quick lunch or as a delicious side for a fancy dinner. I really enjoy devouring it with my favourite curries.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups chopped vegetables
- 1-2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp biryani masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Wash the quinoa well in a strainer and place in a pan with 2 cups of water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil on high heat.
- Once the water boils, reduce the heat to medium and cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes or till the water has evaporated.
- Switch off the heat and leave covered.
- Heat oil in a pan, tip in the cumin seeds and allow to sizzle for a minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables. Use whatever vegetables you like. I have used white onions, carrots, beans and bell pepper for this dish.
- Sauté the vegetables for a couple of minutes. Do not overcook the vegetables. Allow them to retain their crunch.
- You can add the chilli flakes for an added dash of spice.
- Slide in the cooked quinoa and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Check for salt and add more if required.
- Your quinoa pulao is ready to be eaten straight away.
- If you want to make this dish extra special, try adding 1 teaspoon biryani masala. However, this is totally optional.
- Garnish with coriander and serve as an accompaniment with your favourite curry.
My favourite brand of quinoa is Artisan Grains. However, feel free to use whatever brand is readily available at your local supermarket.
Adding biryani masala to the quinoa pulao is totally optional. I do that sometimes for variation in flavour. The pulao is pretty tasty without it as well.