I love big ripe juicy strawberries. Who doesn’t! I love how beautiful the fruit is, both taste wise and in appearance, and they elevate any dessert to another level, exactly how you see in this scrumptious strawberry cake. I also have a small family and am always looking for recipes that do not result in a huge cake that could get wasted. This is that perfect small cake recipe you need.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Baking Time: 30-35 mins
Makes: A cake for 3-4 people
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup chopped strawberries or more if you like
- Approximately ½ cup milk
- Some powdered sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven and line a cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add lemon zest.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar (about 1-2 tablespoons) onto your chopped strawberries, mix and keep aside.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time till everything is well combined and looks fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine well. Tip in milk slowly so that it ends up in a thick pouring consistency. You can add a little more milk if required.
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries. Add the other half of the batter and drop in the remaining strawberries
- Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar for decoration and now go indulge yourself!
I used a 20 cm cake tin for this recipe.