MUSHROOM AND PEAS CURRY
A quick delicious Indian style mushroom and peas curry that makes for a great weeknight meat free option
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200-250 gms button mushroom
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Wash the mushrooms and chop them into bite sized chunks. I normally make 2-3 pieces out of each button mushroom.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter for a minute.
- Now add the ginger and saute for a minute. Add the chopped onions and allow to cook. Sprinkle a little salt on the onions. It helps them soften faster.
- Saute the onions till they start turning brown. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the onions are done, throw in the tomatoes, and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes on moderately high heat.
- Dunk the mushrooms in this onion tomato mash and give them a good stir.
- Start adding all the spice powders-turmeric, coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Make sure everything is combined well. Let the mushrooms soak in the spice bath for about 3 minutes.
- Next pour 2 cups of water into the pressure cooker. Add the frozen peas to this water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the liquid sauce and stir everything well.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat and allow to cool naturally, till there is no pressure inside.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- A bowl of rice with this mushroom and peas
curry often vanishes in minutes!
If you do not have a pressure cooker, do not despair! You can make this curry in any pot. It will just take a little longer as you will have to cover the pot to cook the mushrooms and keep it covered till the mushrooms soften. This might take upto 25 minutes.
Post a Comment