SPINACH AND POTATO
Sometimes we all just want something amazingly quick and easy for dinner, yet want it to be wholesome and filling. This spinach and potato dish is exactly that. It is ready to eat in less than 20 minutes. The spinach is flavoured with Indian spices and when combined with potato makes it even more delicious. This is soon going to become your go-to recipe when you’re starved for time and tasty food!
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1.5 tbsp garlic infused olive oil/regular olive oil
- 1 large potato, chopped into bite sizes
- Chopped frozen spinach (see pic)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp curry powder (garam masala)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter for a minute and throw in the garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Now add the potatoes and cook on medium heat to high heat for 5 minutes. Do not cover the pan. You will notice that the potatoes are beginning to crisp on the edges.
- After 5 minutes, add the ginger paste and stir.
- Next, put in 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and combine well with the potatoes.
- It’s time to add the spinach now. I have added chopped frozen spinach which comes in small chunks. I added 6 chunks. You could add more if you're a Popeye fan!
- Now cover your pan and leave it on medium heat for 6 minutes. This will allow your frozen spinach to defrost. Note that I did not defrost the spinach earlier. Just took it out of my freezer and added it straight in.
- After 6 minutes uncover and mix well. Your spinach should now combine easily with your potatoes.
- Let’s spice the dish up and add in our spices. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with some chopped red
chillies. You can enjoy this with naan or any other flatbread.
As this is a super quick recipe I have used mostly frozen and pre-chopped ingredients, purchased from my local Tesco and Sainsbury’s. But feel free to try this with fresh ingredients.