BRITISH LEEKS, IN A VEGETABLE MEDLEY
This colourful riot combines British leeks, potatoes, bell peppers and kale. It’s infused with Indian spices, bursting with flavour, and can be prepared in just about 10 minutes.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced thinly into rings
- 100-150 gms kale, roughly chopped
- 1 potato, boiled and chopped roughly into cubes
- 5-6 sun dried tomatoes
- A handful of red and yellow bell pepper slices
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 2 pods garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. Allow the cumin to splutter for a minute.
- Add the garlic and saute for about a minute till you can smell its aroma. Now add the ginger paste and saute for another minute.
- Next, add the leeks and toss well for about 2 minutes. Throw in the boiled and chopped potatoes, sun dried tomatoes, bell pepper slices, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and turmeric. Mix well and cook on medium heat for a few minutes till the juices combine.
- Once the potato cubes are well coated with the spices, add the kale and continue to toss. Kale reduces substantially in quantity, so don’t worry if it looks like a lot right now. The kale will start shrinking in a minute or two.
- At this stage, put in ¼ cup of water, salt to taste and stir well. Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Open the lid, give the dish a good toss and taste for seasoning.
- Serve hot with naan.
Post a Comment