NO BUTTER CRUNCHY COCONUT BITES
These crunchy coconut bites are made without any butter or oil. Unbelievable! Try them out yourself!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Baking Time: 20 mins
Makes: 10 pieces
- 1 cup coconut powder/desiccated coconut
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 heaped tsp plain white flour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven and separate the egg white from the yolk. You do not need the yolk for this recipe.
- In a bowl mix the coconut powder, granulated sugar, vanilla essence, and salt. Keep aside.
- Now beat the egg white till peaks form. I used an old fashioned spiral egg beater for this and it took me about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the egg white into the bowl with the dry ingredients. If your beaten egg white just drops cleanly into your bowl, you know you have done a good job with beating the egg. It will not be in liquid form any more, hence it will not pour but just drop flat.
- Use your clean hands to combine everything. Try and make it into sort of a dough.
- Add the flour at this stage and suddenly you will notice it becomes much easier to bring the mixture together.
- The mixture is all crumbly, sticky and that’s the way it should be. It will not look like smooth dough.
- Just make small bite sized balls with your hands and place them on a non-stick baking sheet. Mine were pretty uneven looking. Do not fret, they taste just great, irrespective of the way you shape them.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes. The tops will become golden and that’s the sign that they are done.
- Take them out of the oven and allow to cool for atleast 20-30 minutes. Cooling allows them to get crisp.
- Bite into these oil/butter free coconut crunchies that are crisp outside and soft inside.
- Stop eating and save some for later!
Irresistible they are! Aren’t they?