BLACK EYED BEANS CURRY
Black-eyed peas, also known as black-eyed beans, are great to experiment with various spices and vegetables or even just by themselves. Their name comes from the prominent black spot on their creamy skin. As a kid I always thought black eyed beans were the perfect pirate food!
This quick and delicious Indian style black eyed beans curry makes for a great weeknight meat free option, even if you're not a pirate.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup black eye beans, soaked overnight
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter for a minute.
- Now add the ginger paste and saute for a minute. Add the chopped onions and cook till golden brown. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the onions are done, throw in the tomatoes, and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes on moderately high heat.
- Start adding all the spice powders-turmeric, coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Make sure everything is combined well.
- Next add the washed black eyed beans into the onion tomato mix and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour 2.5 cups of water into the pressure cooker.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and stir everything well.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat and allow to cool naturally, till there is no pressure inside.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- A bowl of rice or quinoa would be a perfect
Black eyed beans are available at Tesco
Post a Comment