POTATOES AND PEPPERS
Green bell peppers and potatoes make for a hearty meal that’s quite easy to prepare. You can use this as a stuffing for a grilled sandwich or enjoy it with naan or pita bread.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped into bite sizes
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder or more if you like it hotter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp curry powder (garam masala)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter for a minute and add the potatoes. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Then add the chopped garlic and ginger paste and continue stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next add all the spices, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, a good sprinkling of black pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and stir thoroughly.
- Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes. After every 5 minutes, open the cover and stir to ensure that the vegetables are not burning. Scrape the bottom of the pan well each time.
- After 15 minutes, add the curry powder and check if the potatoes and bell peppers are tender and cooked. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, if required.
- Check for seasoning one last time. Try cutting through a piece of potato. If it cuts easily, it is done. If not, you might need to cook for a few more minutes.
- When done, serve hot garnished with some chopped coriander. You can enjoy this with naan or any other flatbread.
Different varieties of potatoes take varied times to cook. So do keep an eye, lest they get cooked earlier or later than the cooking times prescribed in this recipe.