This is such a simple recipe, and it makes an ideal weekday supper. The different vegetables really add a huge amount of colour and flavour to each bite. It’s such an easy way to get lots of veggies into your daily diet and the leftovers make for a perfect packed lunch the next day. It’s really all about using whatever veggies you have in your fridge.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot batons
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ of a red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ of a green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup/50 gms of paneer, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2" ginger roughly chopped and pounded
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil and throw in the cumin seeds. Allow to sizzle for a minute.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté on medium to high heat for 2 minutes.
- Put in the ginger paste and saute for another minute.
- Now add the frozen peas, bell peppers, and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the paneer pieces and continue cooking without covering for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the chopped tomatoes and start adding the spices-chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, garam masala and a teaspoon of salt. Combine well, cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, uncover and check for seasoning. Add salt if required.
- You can also check the tenderness of the vegetables. I do not like them overcooked but if you want them slightly more tender, you could cover for another minute or two.
- Give it one final good toss on high heat, garnish with coriander and serve hot.
If you are vegan, you could easily skip the paneer and add any other vegetable of your choice like cauliflower or beans. Just use whatever you have handy in your fridge to create this colourful and delicious dish.
If you want to use cauliflower in this dish, I suggest you steam it first as all the other vegetables cook pretty fast.