HOME MADE PESTO SAUCE
Why buy ready made pesto when you can make it at home in under 15 minutes? The home made one is fresher, healthier, and absolutely delicious. Spread it on to your morning toast, mix it in a salad, stir it in your favourite pasta, or just eat it like that! Not only does this pesto sauce take your meals up another notch, it can also be used as a marinade for meat and vegetables. It’s time to bid adieu to store bought pesto!
Preparation Time: 12 mins
Makes: A small bowl
- 100 gms fresh basil
- 50 gms pine nuts
- 4 garlic pods
- Approximately ½ cup virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Black pepper
- Heat a frying pan and add the pine nuts. Do not add any oil. Cook the pine nuts over medium heat until golden, shaking occasionally so that they do not burn. It took me about 7-8 minutes to do this.
- Chop the basil leaves roughly.
- Add the chopped leaves, garlic pods, parmesan and ¼ cup olive oil in a blender.
- Blend till smooth and you can keep drizzling in more olive oil till you get the texture you like.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pesto sauce is so versatile and can be enjoyed with pasta, on toasted bread, grilled chicken, in salads or eaten just by itself.
- You're never going to buy pesto sauce anymore!