CRISPY BAKED OKRA
Spicy crispy okra is traditionally a deep-fried delicacy. However, the dish can also be prepared in the oven with very little oil. It turns out just as delicious, just as crispy, and enormously healthier.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 20 mins
- 250 gms okra
- 1 tbsp olive oil or olive oil spray
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder (less or more depending on your taste buds)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp mango powder
- 1 tsp curry powder (garam masala)
- 2-3 tsp chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 tsp salt
- Chat masala (optional)
- Wash and dry the okra. You can dab it with tissue paper to ensure there is no moisture.
- Once dry, chop both ends off and slit each okra lengthwise into two pieces. (see pic)
- Mix all the dry ingredients, except for the chat masala, in a large bowl.
- Tip the cut okra in and use your hands to coat the pieces well with the spices.
- Now pour the olive oil in and mix gently. Once you pour the oil you will notice that the dry spices start sticking to the okra pieces. Perfect!
- Lay the well-coated okra on to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes till the okra is crispy.
- Sprinkle some chat masala before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious crispy bites till they last.
You can use an olive oil spray to coat the okra pieces rather than pouring in olive oil. The spray would be quite effective for this dish.
These should be served immediately as that’s when they taste best.