TOFU AND GREEN BEANS IN BLACK BEAN SAUCE
Satisfy your craving for Chinese food with this lip smacking healthy dish. Tofu and green beans taste particularly good with a bowl of fried rice. This is an incredibly easy to make, your favourite restaurant style dish and a must try for all tofu lovers.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1.5 cups green beans
- 200 gms firm tofu*
- Spring onions (optional)
- 3 garlic pods, minced
- 1 tsp freshly minced ginger
- 2-3 green chillies (optional)
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp black bean sauce*
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Olive oil
- Chop the green beans into whatever length you like. I like them slightly longer.
- Slit the green chillies lengthwise. You can skip the green chillies if you don't want the dish to be hot.
- Cut the tofu into small squares or rectangular pieces. Fry lightly in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil till the tofu turns slightly brown on all sides. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the black bean sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar, and set aside.
- Heat a wok with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. You can also use the extra oil left after frying the tofu.
- Saute the ginger, garlic and the green chillies for a minute. Add the green beans and a teaspoon of salt. Stir well and cover for 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove cover and check if done to your liking. I don’t like them overdone but you can cook them a little more if you like them softer.
- Add the tofu and chilli flakes. Now mix in the sauces in your bowl and stir gently.
- Allow to cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes till everything is well combined.
- Check for salt.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.
I used Wing Yip Black Bean Sauce and smoked tofu from The Toofoo Co. You can use whatever brand you find at your local store.