POHA/FLATTENED RICE FLAKES
Traditionally, a Central Indian dish, Poha is extremely popular in the states of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh. Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi. Poha as a dish is continuously evolving and becoming more flavourful. The dish looks equally inviting in its many avatars. Its popularly eaten for breakfast or as an evening snack.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of beaten/flattened rice flakes/poha
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup boiled peas
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 6-7 curry leaves/kadi patta
- Juice of 1/2 -1 lemon
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 2 tbsp of roasted peanuts (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wash the beaten rice thoroughly in a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, followed by the green chillies and curry leaves. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chopped onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Put ½ a tsp of salt at this stage and keep stirring till slightly golden brown.
- Then add the chopped carrots and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add the boiled peas and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and stir. Now put in the washed rice flakes and a teaspoon of salt. Stir well to mix everything. Sprinkle some water in, not more than 2-3 teaspoons and cover the pan for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Open the lid and squeeze the juice of a lemon into the dish and add the roasted peanuts.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve
There are various types of flattened/beaten rice flakes available in the market (thin, medium, thick). I use the medium one. If you buy the thin one, the rice flakes will end up sticking to each other.
A lot of people serve this dish with accompaniments like chopped onions and Indian sev or bhujia (casse-croute indiens). Haldirams is a popular brand of Indian snacks that is available worldwide. One can sprinkle aloo bhujia on the poha for a crispy tangy flavour.
If you don't have an Indian store close to you, you can buy flattened rice on Amazon UK.