Red/purple cabbage is commonly used in salads, but few people know that it also makes for a wonderful side dish. This is a simple yet delicious recipe. I have used freshly ground coconut in the recipe although you can swap it for desiccated coconut if you prefer.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 tbsp, ground coconut
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds, ginger and green chillies and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and stir for a minute.
- Drop in the cabbage and salt. Stir well for a few minutes.
- Put in the coconut and mix well.
- Cook and cover for about 8-10 minutes on medium heat, stirring in between.
- How much you want to cook the cabbage, completely depends on individual taste. Some like it crunchy and some like it well done.
- Serve warm with roti or paratha.