BLACK BEAN AND QUINOA CHILLI
This black bean and quinoa chilli makes for a filling and nutritious meal. If it’s autumn, make a big pot because it is perfect for those cozy nights and if it’s winter then it will warm you up. The best part is, that this dish is a full meal in itself. You don’t need any bread/roti/pasta to go with it. Take it to your next pot luck and you will know you have a crowd pleaser!
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 heaped tsp finely chopped ginger
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 carrot, diced into cubes
- ¼ cup beans
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- A can of black beans (400 gms)
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder or less
- Salt to taste
- Cook the quinoa in a pot, using the instructions on the packet.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Stir in the cumin seeds, onions, chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Stir for 3-4 minutes and tip in the rest of the chopped vegetables.
- Mix in the tomato puree, cumin powder, chilli powder and about 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Once the onions are done, add the tomato puree. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the black beans along with the liquid in the can and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt and seasoning as per taste.
- Serve hot!
I used my favourite Artisan Grains brand of quinoa but feel free to use whatever is easily available.
I used Biona Organic Black Beans for this dish.