ONE POT LENTIL AND GRAIN MASH
This is a winter favourite, both flavoursome and full of nutrition. Easy on the stomach and supremely easy to cook as well. In India, this dish is typically made with rice and lentils. I have substituted the rice for a mix of quinoa and bulgur wheat to make for a healthier version.
Preparation Time: 2 mins
Soaking Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 mins
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil if you prefer that
- ½ cup quinoa and bulgur wheat mix
- ½ cup moong dal yellow (mung yellow lentil) or split green lentil (green moong chilka)
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak the quinoa and bulgur wheat mix and the lentils in water for 30 minutes. The grains and lentils will swell up.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter for a minute.
- Put in the chopped green chillies and stir for a minute.
- In the meanwhile, drain the grains and lentil and add to the pressure cooker.
- Stir well for about 2 minutes and then add 2.5 cups of water.
- Tip in the turmeric powder and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat and allow to cool naturally.
- Serve hot with yoghurt.
The medium of fat I have used in this dish is ghee. Use of ghee gives added flavour to this dish. Feel free to add an extra tablespoon of ghee to make this even tastier.
I have used a mix of quinoa and bulgur wheat here. However, I also regularly make it with just plain bulgur wheat as well.
Alternate between lentils as well each time to savour a variety of flavours.
What an easy and nutritious one-pot recipe it is! Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Rentio Toor Dal
Tuvar Dal Online
Tuwar Dal Online